PDA

View Full Version : Track Day At Fabi

Domokun
06-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Here is a video of my warmup lap at Fabi. I wasn\'t able to shoot more video after because the mount I used took up the pasenger spot and people started to ride in my car... err...

anyhow.. my laps eventually got faster and faster and at the end of the day, I drove until the tires melted.

Fabi Mazda 3 warmup lap (http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=warmup69)

wtom
06-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Very nice ... scrapped RS-A\'s the only thing?

How did you find the handling on the stock suspension?

Didn\'t even notice/hear you missing the shift at the end hahaha

EDIT: BTW that\'s with straight pipe right?

Domokun
06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
The RS-A\'s were disgusting on the track, I found they became unuseful after 3 laps and the must be let to cool since they\'ll be beyond their heat range. After a day\'s worth of driving, half of the treads were left.

The stock suspension on the 3 is very good for track use. The car is predictable and shock/spring are well matched. This is one of the main reason why I have not yet lowered the car (Bump steer is a very scary thing). The only downside is that the car understeers when pushed to the limit. A stiffer roll bar on the rear should correct this - Ah! Progress.

The brakes were very good. Heat was a non issue on Fabi due to it\'s tight arrangement. The next time I go, which we should be running on Nelson I will have a better chance to abuse the brakes (1/4 mile straight onto a tight righthander)

btw wtom, I\'m in HK right now... only saw one 3 (red hatch) so far. But lots of Skyline, Porsche, Evo\'s and Ferrari\'s though...

oh yeah.. almost forgot.. didn\'t put the straight pipe on that day. Got lazy after washing the car and getting my gear ready. Next time, next time.

wtom
06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Wah back to HK again? Lucky guy ... I\'m gonna borrow your straight pipe then! :p j/k

It\'s a good excuse to get new tires then! Run the track a few laps and \"honey, I need to spend a few hundred on new tires for the car. Your <insert gf\'s newest wish list product> will have to wait.\" hehehe

Good to hear about the 3\'s suspension holding well! I think I know what you mean about bump steering... BTW there\'s a Progress rear anti-sway bar group buy in effect ... unless you\'ve found the same for cheaper over there?

I was wondering where the longer straightaway was! Have a reason to break the governor.

I never saw a 3 hatch in HK streets. Only saw the one winning blue hatch in a Mazda dealership.

Videos will sound even better with straight pipe on. :D

bubba1983
06-21-2005, 02:39 PM
wooooo
i can\'t wait now when i go for the lapping day!!!!

whodilly
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
OH man that is sweet!! I was yelling \" Pass the damn black acura on the inside!!!!! c\'mon do it!!!\" while I was watching. Can\'t wait to go lapping as well.

Who else is in on that track day?

Domokun
06-21-2005, 11:01 PM
wtom, add me to the group buy for the rear Progress bar. The 3 isn\'t popular in HK, so I doubt any parts for it to be readly avalible.

Other cars that showed up that day were WRX\'s, RX8, a B18 EK Civic (freaking fast), RSX, TSX, Accord coupe, Jetta, Celica, Murano (the SUV), and a Tiberon.

The speed governor is a pain, but Fabi is too small of a track for it to kick in.

wtom
06-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Added you to the group buy list for Progress rear anti-sway bar, Domokun;

http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1966&page=4

It didn\'t seem like you went that fast. Do you recall what your top speed was?

I only saw a few (less than five) Mazda3\'s the entire two and half weeks I was over there.

SABIO
06-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Domokun
The speed governor is a pain, but Fabi is too small of a track for it to kick in.

When does it kick in? I have cruised at 180km/hr a few times in my 3... I don\'t think you would hit that on the track;)

wtom
06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

Originally posted by Domokun

When does it kick in? I have cruised at 180km/hr a few times in my 3... I don\'t think you would hit that on the track;)

Approx 188km/h ... long enough straightaway and you will :D