Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the MazdaSpeed 3 CBE Cause Issues with... *cough* Performance

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does the MazdaSpeed 3 CBE Cause Issues with... *cough* Performance

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    MS3 exhaust + race pipe is WINNING! I love to hear the popping when I let off the throttle/downshift.
    Have a video of that ''popping'' ? I'm interested about that noise haha

Ride
    Nike Shoes
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When i had just a cat-back magnaflow it DID seem to have noticeably less pick up. But when i added the COBB downpipe it fly's now lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
    Have a video of that ''popping'' ? I'm interested about that noise haha
    Sorry, don't have a video. It doesn't happen every time, so its hard to capture.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have ms3 exhaust with magna flow muffler and its pretty loud..

Ride
    Nike Shoes
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    Sorry, don't have a video. It doesn't happen every time, so its hard to capture.
    Mine does it when i shift and drop the clutch fast. its a loudish popping noise (usually from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th), I believe its just back pressure like mine!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Just from the back pressure. Without the turbo it doesn't happen every time though lol.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does the MazdaSpeed 3 CBE Cause Issues with... *cough* Performance

The MS3 exhaust was designed with a turbo application in mind. At the end of the day, the bigger and freer flowing the exhaust, the better it is for a turbo application. There is no such thing as having *too big* of a turbo back exhaust that performance is negatively impacted.

From an OEM/performance perspective, this means finding the balance between flow, emissions, sound tuning and sound decibels.

Naturally aspirated exhaust systems are more complex. In this application, proper runner length at the header is important and exhaust scavenging and back pressure come into play as well. In this application, there is such thing as *too big* of an exhaust and extracting performance out of a naturally aspirated car from the exhaust path is more scientific and a bit of a black art to produce the desired balance of low end response and top end power. (Run on sentence... Ha)

So, going back to putting the MS3 exhaust on a MZ3. I'd say a noticeable power loss on the bottom end is very plausible and a noticeable power gain up top is also very plausible. IMO, putting an exhaust on a small displacement motor like the MZ3 is done purely for sound because at the end of the day, the car won't be breaking any records or beating any more/less cars on the street. Choose the exhaust you like and throw it on. Can't go wrong with the MS3 exhaust because it sounds badass and its far cheaper than many alternatives for something that will only give you audio sensory wood while driving.

Ride
    Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow lovin the detail. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    The MS3 exhaust was designed with a turbo application in mind. At the end of the day, the bigger and freer flowing the exhaust, the better it is for a turbo application. There is no such thing as having *too big* of a turbo back exhaust that performance is negatively impacted.

From an OEM/performance perspective, this means finding the balance between flow, emissions, sound tuning and sound decibels.

Naturally aspirated exhaust systems are more complex. In this application, proper runner length at the header is important and exhaust scavenging and back pressure come into play as well. In this application, there is such thing as *too big* of an exhaust and extracting performance out of a naturally aspirated car from the exhaust path is more scientific and a bit of a black art to produce the desired balance of low end response and top end power. (Run on sentence... Ha)

So, going back to putting the MS3 exhaust on a MZ3. I'd say a noticeable power loss on the bottom end is very plausible and a noticeable power gain up top is also very plausible. IMO, putting an exhaust on a small displacement motor like the MZ3 is done purely for sound because at the end of the day, the car won't be breaking any records or beating any more/less cars on the street. Choose the exhaust you like and throw it on. Can't go wrong with the MS3 exhaust because it sounds badass and its far cheaper than many alternatives for something that will only give you audio sensory wood while driving.

Ride
    2017 Ram sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

+1000000
    Thank for the detailed write up.. This is more then helpful
    2007 MS3 - Cobb AP - Cobb TI - Cobb intake - 3" catless DP - stage1 tune - Autotech hpfp - RX8 rims - weathertech mats -

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the MS3 OEM exhaust on my 06 2.3L hatch. I only have good comments on the sound. I was finding it a little bit too noisy in the cabin on long trips so I added a Vibrant super quiet resonator where the speed cat was attached and now I love my system more then ever. Great sound and little pop sound is there when shifting full throttle or downshifting sometimes. All in all, Great upgrade for the price!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There is no cat on the MS3 OEM CBE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12