Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Independent Fog Mod with OEM HIDs??

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fog Mod with OEM HIDs??

okay i worked it out in my head.

materials:
    H7(spades) to 9006 wire (like those extras attached to H7 HID bulbs)
    H11(female) connectors
    H11(prongs) to 9006 wire (like those extras attached to H11 HID bulbs)

note: take the H7(spades) to 9006 wires, clip off the 9006 and attach the H11 Female connector -- now i have a H7 (spades) to H11 Female connector wire

Theory:
    id have the H7 spades to go into the stock low beam H7 plug. then i change the 9006 plug to a H11 Female connector. - this makes the stock low beam plug straight into the Fog bulb.

then for the Low beams (HIDs):

get the wires from a H11 HID kit which will plug into the Stock Fog H11 plug (Prongs), then go into the harness for the HIDs (low beam)

THEREFORE: the Fogs will be controlled like DRLs and be on at all times. and the low beams (HIDs) will be controlled by the stock Fog Light switch

does that make sense? will that work?

H11 Female connector : http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-H8-H10-H11-880...item2a11414c50
    Last edited by JaYson; 06-12-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Been Searching And Cant Find The Right One For Me!

noone can confirm or deny this idea/

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so how are you supposed to use the high beams?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    Wait hold on. So the glove box wire splicing actually works on the speed w/oem hids? I used this mod on my old 3 and it worked great, but everywhere I read said that it DIDNT work with OEM HIDs.
    Right now I just have the jumper mod that turns the fogs on all the time, and leaves them on for a bit after you turn off the car. Very reversible and only took 30 seconds to do, but it would be nice to have control again... (without ripping apart the steering column)
    yes it works, as I said already! what might not work is when you try to complicate things by trying to make the fogs completely independent or act as DRLs
    as long as you follow the how-to I posted (not the m3f one linked in the first post) and not do anything different, it WILL WORK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    yes it works, as I said already! what might not work is when you try to complicate things by trying to make the fogs completely independent or act as DRLs
    as long as you follow the how-to I posted (not the m3f one linked in the first post) and not do anything different, it WILL WORK
    I know you said it, I was just hoping to hear it from someone that had actually done it on a speed (or 07+ w/hids) as well before spending an hour or two splicing wires while laying on my back. Reason I'm skeptical is because so many ppl on m3f swear that it doesn't work with HIDs. BUT, OK i'll trust you lol... when i have some time i'll give it a go.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my 08 I installed the indy mod which I had full control over. Vehicle has stock HID's. So yes it will work. I'm pretty sure another MS3 owner has this setup as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Reason I'm skeptical is because so many ppl on m3f swear that it doesn't work with HIDs.
    Can you post up a some links where people claim this won't work? I'd be really, really interested to see how they've hacked their wiring!

Question for TheMAN:
    Your write up says not to use J-01-K, but to use J-01-AC. One is left parking lights, the other right parking lights. I was wondering what the difference is... are you just being cautious (K having the additional load of the licence plate lamps) or are there differences between in between model years?
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The link on the first page (i.e. Indy fogs w/o running wires thru firewall)
    In the OP: "*NOTE* This mod will ONLY work if your car has/had halogen headlights stock. This WILL NOT work with the OE HIDs"

I guess my mistake was assuming this mod was the same as the one theMAN posted were the same... I didn't go thru the details of it, guess that was my mistake

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Can you post up a some links where people claim this won't work? I'd be really, really interested to see how they've hacked their wiring!

Question for TheMAN:
    Your write up says not to use J-01-K, but to use J-01-AC. One is left parking lights, the other right parking lights. I was wondering what the difference is... are you just being cautious (K having the additional load of the licence plate lamps) or are there differences between in between model years?
    erred to the side of caution by mimicking how the EDM version is wired... I seriously don't think there is a difference though
    I suppose the more balanced load is better, by a whopping 1mA taken by the relay lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    Ok I apologize in advance for the old topic bump, but I have run into a sort of problem. The method quoted above is the one I used (yeah i know I haven't had time to go around splicing wires yet). It has always worked great... or so I thought. I've noticed some strange behavior lately and was wondering if anyone knows why.

Symptom: Fog lights randomly come on when the car is not on.
    It seems to be related to time, because the 4 times its happened it was always around lunch time.
    So heres what happens - the lights turn on and at some point a while later (i.e. a few minutes I think) they turn off again. If i go in the car and toggle the ignition to on and back off, they do the 11 second shutdown or whatever it is)
    What would cause that, and what the hell is that empty fuse holder that is being tapped originally for?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you have something wired funny. Though it's not like you can REALLY mess that mod up since it's only 1 wire. hmm
    Last edited by cwp_sedan; 07-06-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Sounds like you have something wired funny. Though it's not like you can REALLY mess that mod up since it's only 1 wire. hmm
    Yeah but everything else works fine! And its not something that is too random, like I said it always seems to happen around the same time of the day...

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not wired wrong Thats the way it is on the 07-09 speed 3's. You have to use a differente power source for the fogs. I tapped them off of the orange/yellow wire in the drivers side kick panel. It is the wire for the power mirrors. Works like a charm
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I apologize in advance for the old topic bump, but I have run into a sort of problem. The method quoted above is the one I used (yeah i know I haven't had time to go around splicing wires yet). It has always worked great... or so I thought. I've noticed some strange behavior lately and was wondering if anyone knows why.

Symptom: Fog lights randomly come on when the car is not on.
    It seems to be related to time, because the 4 times its happened it was always around lunch time.
    So heres what happens - the lights turn on and at some point a while later (i.e. a few minutes I think) they turn off again. If i go in the car and toggle the ignition to on and back off, they do the 11 second shutdown or whatever it is)
    What would cause that, and what the hell is that empty fuse holder that is being tapped originally for?
    I guess you didn't use the how-to I linked then because I don't have any problems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    I guess you didn't use the how-to I linked then because I don't have any problems
    I haven't had time or space to do it yet. I have a whole list of things i need to fix and just havnet had time for any of it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had time or space to do it yet. I have a whole list of things i need to fix and just havnet had time for any of it.
    Did you ever get around to doing the alternate method? I still don't have confirmation from more than one place that it works on factory-equipped HID Gen 1s.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
    Did you ever get around to doing the alternate method? I still don't have confirmation from more than one place that it works on factory-equipped HID Gen 1s.
    No I don't think I ever did it. I don't even remember what I did, but right now I have semi- Indy fogs. Need to have my parking lights on to get them. I think all I did was disable DRL.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking on separating the DRL from high beam like in the diagram below, would that work ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just late, but I'm not understanding what you mean by that. Seeing the whole schematic and where you're tapping into might clear up my understanding...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just late, but I'm not understanding what you mean by that. Seeing the whole schematic and where you're tapping into might clear up my understanding...

I am trying to remove the DRL from the High beam bulbs and have them on a different location, lower part of the bumper . This way I will use the High beam just for flashing when needed , new DRL will be on LED (less power consumption). That diagram is for the new relay I want to use to turn OFF new DRL when let's say the Low beam is ON (or parking light is ON). Without the Relay, new DRL will stay on same time the car is ON (Acc is on). Does make sense ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well unfortunately I started drinking before reading this, but I think your problem is that you still need a way to disable the OEM DRL. I guess you can achieve that by pulling a fuse though.
    So... in theory yes, this should work, however you need to figure out which wires to tap, and where.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well unfortunately I started drinking before reading this, but I think your problem is that you still need a way to disable the OEM DRL. I guess you can achieve that by pulling a fuse though.
    So... in theory yes, this should work, however you need to figure out which wires to tap, and where.
    DRL is already OFF, I changed a bit the relay and no DRL (one pin is not connected anymore). For now I have to remember to turn ON some lights all the time, but this Friday I will have them moved so no need to do this. I will post pics after everything is done.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LiviuTincu For This Useful Post:

Cab0oze (10-07-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12